Have never experienced this and hope I never do.  These sweep tubes are getting
too precious.

3-500's have much thicker glass than even 811A's, so I don't think it would be
very easy to get a suck-out on one of those puppies.

I have seen the grid get shorted to the plate - usually as a result of an
initial parasitic oscillation in the tube.  I've repaired lots of SB-220's and
the problem is fairly common in them.  I've never heard of an L-4 or L-4B
failing like this...

Steve, W1ES/4