From: Curt Nixon <cptc...@flash.net>
To: drakelist <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Sat, Dec 31, 2011 12:03 pm
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] R4c sherwood moods

Hi Darryl:

I like that approach.  No question that the mods make the C a better radio.  As long as a person understands what the final product is going to be, then go for it. The performance margin that the Sherwood mods offered over comparably priced SS rigs of the day is no longer valid.  Whatever the bench work indicates, there is NO performance comparison, all around, to a modern $1200 radio.  (Of course, anything I can "hear" on the 746pro or TS2000, or whatever, I surely can hear also on the R4a---but that is NOT what the mods were all about)  I am one that will indeed make minor mods to help in small ways..especially heat related, for durability or availability of parts. ( The AC-4 mods as example)  Mine are not museum pieces, but user rigs like Gary mentions and are mostly stock.  A line, B line, TR-3,4,7.  They are what they are and a pleasure to use as is.

Curt
KU8L