Boys and girls...

I've got a new pcb that takes care of this problem. Here's how it works

While the circuit has been designed to use either the 6 or 12 v ac filament,

 When you first turn your radio on, any of the Drake TR series or R series, the
fan will come on to high speed. High speed fan is controlled by trimmer R11.

 The fan will run in high speed for about three seconds and then drop to low
speed. That is adjusted by R12.

you can set either the high speed or the low speed independently so you have
enough voltage to get the fan running, then you slow it down as slow as you
want it with just an adjustment of a trimmer.
 When you transmit, the external key line is pulled to ground and that forces
the fan into high speed. This greatly increases the cooling of the PA tubes
during tune up and long winded QSOs. When you go back to receive, the fan slows
back down to the low setting.

 The entire pcb about 2 in square is mounted on a side of the pa compartment.
There are no wires to cut or holes to drill. installation is completely
reversible and operation completely transparent.

Mike WB8VGE