w1es1...@earthlink.net writes:

Yes - the hot lead should always be the lead that is  fused.
I don't always use the word "always" (or, for the  record, "never"), but in
this case I shall make an exception...Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

Hi Group,
Steves comments got me to thinking and that is unusual at this hour of the
morning for me.

TWO wire cords EG lamp cord, not polorized.  Side piece of information
that some may not know.
One of the edges of that cord will be ribbed (could be just one rib) that
is the negative side and is supposed to go to the silver screw on the lamp
socket (the bulb socket shell). The ribs are still there even if  polorized.

Now in the case of our Drakes original the smooth side was the fused  side.
Carl WD8NHK