Hello list!

I have a newly required TR-7, S/N 3857 with remote VFO and PS S/N 5479.

I will no doubt have some questions as I go forward with its restoration
repair.

Are there any documents that compile or  list the "must do" vs. "should do"
vs. "very nice to do" upgrades/changes and modifications for the TR-7?

Or should I just try to search all the posts for the info, like newer board
versions etc.?

I know there are a lot of very capable  people on here that have done all
this already so I do not want to try to "re-invent the wheel".

RE: TANTALUM CAPs  I also have 3- Racal 6790GMs.  They are literally loaded
with tantalums with few electrolytics on the boards other than the PS.

I have had some tantalums explode also leaving a black/dark gray deposit on
everything around them.  It stains and  is hard to clean!!

What I have found is that if you observe a small dark spot that appears to
penetrate the outer shell and resembles a small volcano crater no larger
than a pin point or a little larger, CHANGE THE CAP.

IF IT HAS THE BLACK SPOT AND HASN'T YET FAILED IN THE EXPLOSIVE MODE OR
HASN'T ALREADY FAILED DOSSIALY INTACT, IT WILL FAIL!

I have changed out over a 100 tantalums  in these radios so far.

To change one or not is a personal call but the cleanup after one pops is a
PITA.  It can also damage components ahead of it if it shorts to ground and
the supply is stiff enough.

At least look them over closely for the spots.  They don't always have the
spots but many times they will have them at some time before failure.

Of course the lack of  spots doesn't mean they won't fail but a spot is a
sure sign of impending failure at some point.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you folks have for the TR-7.

73,

Walt

KR4HV

kr...@numail.org