----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Ibbetson" <a...@g3xaq.net>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:49 AM
Subject: [Drakelist] R4C overall gain specification

I have the data I was seeking on R4C overall gain, thanks to Steve Wedge W1ES/4. The original 1974 QST review gives it as 0.1uV or less for 10dB S+N/N. Although my receiver can detect a 0.1uV signal it's well short of that amount of audio output, so it looks like I have some work to do to find a bit more gain.

--

Alan Ibbetson
a...@g3xaq.net

Older receiver specs gave a minimum audio output level for a given input level. This is useful for seeing if the receiver is working correctly and is, I think, what you want. The spec as given above does not specify an output level so it really does not indicate gain. Its a typical old style spec for noise level and is again useful for checking a particular kind of receiver for normal function but not much else. The R4C book gives a spec of 0.7 watt of audio at the AVC threshold and a minimum power output of 2 watts at less than 5% THD. You can check the power output using a resistor load and voltmeter but monitor with a scope to keep from going into overload. 5% is just visible. Presumably, the AVC threshold is where the S meter just begins to indicate, or just a bit below that. I would do the S meter adjustment procedure before trying this measurement. If you find the receiver is really not up to snuff its worth going through the entire adjustment procedure. I think Garrey Barrell has a disc for the R4C and it may have stage gain info, contact him about this. He is _not_ on this list. www.k4oah.com

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles