Hi Norm,
It sounds to me that maybe the carrier oscillator is a bit off freq. It can be adjusted, there's a procedure in the manual, or it can be done by ear, listening to the pitch of the background noise as you switch sidebands and adjusting the trimmer to make them sound the same.
73,

Al, W8UT
www.boatanchors.org
www.hammarlund.info

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole