Hi Tom:

The collector goes to hard saturation value. Less than .2V. I did the test using a Huntron on a few of the swaps just to be sure.

I also carefully watched the base voltage established thru the detector diode. It stays right around .5-.6V. Even repalced the diode to see if that might be the case but same result.

At this point, I guess I am going to try to find a genuine 3394 and call it a day. It all works fine when I put in a working device from another R4 so suspect something particular about the device. Transistors were a lot less controlled in 1968 so it may not be close. Dont have a curve tracer and not going to remove it again to do an Hfe test on it the hard way.

It is just a curiosity now. I taught solid-state design and theory in Navy and later in college and thought I had seen most issues. ;)

Curt
KU8L