----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Bostian" <bost...@vt.edu>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 1:58 PM
Subject: [Drakelist] Drake R4B 5595 kHz oscillator/mixer

I am trying to bring my old R4B/T4XB combination back to life after about
35 years of non-use.
The 5595 kHz oscillator part of the second mixer 12BE6 circuit does not oscillate. I have tried several tubes with no effect. As far as I can determine, the tube is functioning normally and I can make the receiver work (after a fashion) by injecting a 5595 kHz signal from an external source. Before I take out/test/replace the handfull of Rs and Cs and also look for a replacement xtal, I am wondering if anyone on the list has had a similar problem. In particular, can you recommend a source for a
replacement xtal?  Thanks!

Charles W4KEP

It may well be the crystal. Replacements can be obtained from International Crystal. I've bought many crystals from them and all were perfect. They know the parameters for Drake crystals. You might want to post also to the "other" drake list at:

    It seems to me this is a fairly common problem.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles