Il 18-08-2017 17:09 Yannis Milios ha scritto:
Personally I'm using option (a) on a 3 node proxmox cluster and drbd9.
Replica count per VM is 2 and all 3 nodes act as both drbd control
volumes and satellite nodes.I can live migrate VM between all nodes
and snapshot them by using drbdmanage utility (which is using zfs
snapshot+clones).

Hi Yannis, thank you for describing your setup!

Option (b) seems more suitable for a 2 node drbd8 cluster in a
primary/secondary setup. Haven't tried it so I cannot tell if there
are any clurpits. My only concern in such setup would be if drbd
corrupts silently the data on the lower level and zfs is not aware of
that.

I think that such a silent corruption will be better caught by ZFS when it happens at the lower layer (ie: the ZOOL, at VDEV level) rather than when it happens at upper layers (ie: DRBD on ZVOL). This is the stronger argument why on the ZFS list I was adviced to use DRBD on RAW device + ZFS on higher layer.

From what I read on this list, however, basically no-one is using ZFS over DRBD over RAW disks, so I am somewhat worried about some potential, hidden pitfalls.

Also, if you are *not* going to use live migration, and you can
afford loosing some seconds of data on the secondary node in favor of
better performance on the primary node, then you could consider using
protocol A instead of C for the replication link.

Sure. On other installation, I am using protocol B with great success.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico