Il 06-09-2017 16:22 David Bruzos ha scritto:
I've used DRBD devices on top of ZFS zvols for years now and have been
very satisfied with the performance and possibilities that that
configuration allows for.  I use DRBD 8.x on ZFS latest mainly on Xen
hypervisors running a mix a Linux and Windows VMs with both SSD and
mechanical drives.  I've also done similar things in the past with
DRBD and LVM.  The DRBD on ZFS conbination is the most flexible and
elegant.  You can use snapshotting and streams to do data migrations
across the Internet with minimal down time while getting storage level
redundancy and integrity from ZFS and realtime replication from DRBD.
A few scripts can automate the creation/removal of devices and
coordinate VM migrations and things will just work.  Also, you can
then use ZFS streams for offsite backups (if you need that kind of
thing).
Another thing is that you may not need the realtime replication for
some workloads, so in those cases you can just run directly on ZFS and
omit the DRBD device.  At least for me, that great flexibility is what
makes running my own configuration worth it.

Just my 25 cents!

David

Hi David,
thank you for your input. It was greatly appreciated.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico