On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 4:02 PM Thomas Hellström (Intel)
<thomas...@shipmail.org> wrote:

> On 4/15/21 3:37 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> >> ah yes Daniel and I haven been discussing something like this for years.
> >>
> >> I also came up with rough implementation, but we always ran into lifetime
> >> issues.
> >>
> >> In other words the ww_mutexes which are on the list would need to be kept
> >> alive until unlocked.
> >>
> >> Because of this we kind of backed up and said we would need this on the GEM
> >> level instead of working with dma_resv objects.
> > Yeah there's a few funny concerns here that make this awkward:
> > - For simplicity doing these helpers at the gem level should make things a
> >    bit easier, because then we have a standard way to drop the reference.
> >    It does mean that the only thing you can lock like this are gem objects,
> >    but I think that's fine. At least for a first cut.
> >
> > - This is a bit awkward for vmwgfx, but a) Zack has mentioned he's looking
> >    into adopting gem bo internally to be able to drop a pile of code and
> >    stop making vmwgfx the only special-case we have b) drivers which don't
> >    need this won't need this, so should be fine.
> >
> >    The other awkward thing I guess is that ttm would need to use the
> >    embedded kref from the gem bo, but that should be transparent I think.
> >
> > - Next up is dma-buf: For i915 we'd like to do the same eviction trick
> >    also through p2p dma-buf callbacks, so that this works the same as
> >    eviction/reservation within a gpu. But for these internal bo you might
> >    not have a dma-buf, so we can't just lift the trick to the dma-buf
> >    level. But I think if we pass e.g. a struct list_head and a callback to
> >    unreference/unlock all the buffers in there to the exporter, plus
> >    similar for the slowpath lock, then that should be doable without
> >    glorious layering inversions between dma-buf and gem.
> >
> >    I think for dma-buf it should even be ok if this requires that we
> >    allocate an entire structure with kmalloc or something, allocating
> >    memory while holding dma_resv is ok.
>
> Yes, the thing here with the suggested helpers is that you would just
> embed a trans_lockitem struct in the gem object (and defines the gem
> object ops). Otherwise and for passing to dma-buf this is pretty much
> exactly what you are suggesting, but the huge benefit of encapsulating
> the needed members like this is that when we need to change something we
> change it in just one place.
>
> For anything that doesn't have a gem object (dma-buf, vmwgfx or
> whatever) you have the choice of either allocating a struct
> trans_lockitem or embed it wherever you prefer. In particular, this is
> beneficial where you have a single dma-resv class ww-mutex sitting
> somewhere in the way and you don't want to needlessly have a gem object
> that embeds it.

The thing is, everyone who actually uses dma_resv_lock has a
gem_buffer_object underneath. So it feels a bit like flexibility for
no real need, and I think it would make it slightly more awkard for
gem drivers to neatly integrate into their cs path. The lockitem
struct works, but it is a bit cumbersome.

Also if we add some wrappers to e.g. add a gem_bo to the ctx, then if
we decide to slip the lockitem in there, we still only need to touch
the helper code, and not all drivers.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter