Am 17.02.23 um 13:37 schrieb Jani Nikula:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2023, Christian König <ckoenig.leichtzumer...@gmail.com> wrote:
If i915 have such structural problems then I strongly suggest to solve
them inside i915 and not make common code out of that.
All other things aside, that's just a completely unnecessary and
unhelpful remark.

Sorry, but why?

We have gone through the same problems on radeon and it was massively painful, what I try here is to prevent others from using this bad design as well. And yes I think devm_ and drmm_ is a bit questionable in that regard as well.

The goal is not to make it as simple as possible to write a driver, but rather as defensive as possible. In other words automatically releasing memory when an object is destroyed might be helpful, but it isn't automatically a good idea.

What can easily happen for example is that you run into use after free situations on object reference decommissions, e.g. parent is freed before child for example.

Regards,
Christian.

BR,
Jani.