On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 16:06:02 +0100
Steven Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 05/10/2026 09:38, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Oct 2026 16:14:38 +0100
> > Steven Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> >   
> >> On 29/09/2026 04:44, Adrián Larumbe wrote:  
> >>> The GPU cache flush/invalidate operation is unnecessary. First off, the
> >>> GPU doesn't read off the perfcnt sample buffer, only writes into it, so   
> >>>  
> >>
> >> I don't think this is entirely true. The GPU performance counter unit
> >> only writes the counters that are enabled, counters that share a cache
> >> line but are not enabled are not written by the performance counter
> >> unit, but if the L2 contains that cache line then the write can hit in
> >> the L2 and dirty the entire line including stale data where the
> >> unwritten cache line is.  
> > 
> > I don't think this can happen though, because _enable_locked() is
> > creating a BO (and its GPU mapping) just before enabling the perfcnt
> > block, meaning the buffer is known to have no dirty cacheline pointing
> > to it until the first dump happens. And we do flush and invalidate GPU
> > caches after each dump, so again, we should be covered.  
> 
> The situation isn't actually a dirty cache line at the start, but a
> stale one. We start off with the memory matching a clean line in the
> GPU's cache. But because we don't have coherency the clean line can stay
> even if it's inconsistent with everything else.
> 
> CPU           |       GPU             | Memory
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>                 | clean line            | matches GPU cache
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>    CPU allocates new buffer and writes zeros
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
> Dirty cache line| stale clean line      | unknown (cache line
>                 |                       | might be evicted)
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>    CPU cleans its own cache to memory
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
> Potential clean | stale clean line      | Matches CPU
> cache line      |                       |
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>    Start dump without invaliding GPU
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
> Potential clean | GPU writes data, and  | Unknown
> cache line      | hits in the clean line|
>                 | even though it's stale|
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
>    CPU flushes the GPU's cache and invalidates it's own
> ----------------+-----------------------+--------------------
> No-cache line   | writes out clean line | Matches GPU
> 
> 
> Of course for the GPU to have ended up with that stale clean cache line
> means that the physical memory was previously used for something else on
> the GPU, so the newly allocated BO has to reuse memory from a previous
> BO that the GPU has accessed. And it's all "unlikely" due to the small
> size of the GPU's cache.

Hm, I'd say it's actually impossible because every unmap operation is
followed by a flush+inval of the GPU L2 and LSC, so for this stale
clean line to exist on the GPU side when a physical page is GPU-mapped
again, it would take a bug in the unmap logic or in the MMU HW, I
think. Am I missing something?

> 
> 
> >>
> >> The upshot is that if the CPU has cleared a block of memory which the
> >> GPU happens to have cached, then the "unused" counters may end up
> >> showing the old data before the CPU cleared it (if they share a cache
> >> line with an active counter).  
> > 
> > I agree, but that's not a case we can hit in the enable path. I think I
> > mentioned the commit message was misleading, and that we should instead
> > talk about the fact the GPU is not supposed to have cached anything up
> > until the first SAMPLE following a the ENABLE step.
> >   
> >>
> >> I have to admit it's probably somewhat academic given that Panfrost
> >> doesn't expose the ability to control which counters are enabled...
> >>
> >> Is there a good reason for this patch (i.e. have you seen a performance
> >> problem with doing the invalidate)? Otherwise I'd prefer we keep to the
> >> safe route rather than trying to over optimise cache maintenance.  
> > 
> > I think I was the one suggesting dropping this flush so that
> > panfrost_perfcnt_hw_enable() (in the last patch) has one less fallible
> > operation. Besides, I find it confusing to have a cache flush+inval in
> > a path where the GPU is not supposed to have accessed the buffer yet
> > (or later on, when we re-enable after a RESET, in a path where the GPU
> > has been reset and the caches are known to be empty).  
> 
> So I agree this Should Be Safe™ because of how the driver is currently
> using the performance counters. If we really want to drop the invalidate
> then I think we need a comment explaining the logic. My worry is that
> someone extends this in the future (e.g. allow selecting which counters
> to enable) and breaks assumptions without them being documented.
> 
> We normally do perform an invalidate when the GPU first touches a buffer
> (e.g. for a BO) - it's just normally more implicit because it's done as
> part of the job manager(/command stream).
> 
> Also "caches known to be empty" is a dangerous thing to assume on
> anything that could involve speculation - AFAIK Mali doesn't really
> perform any form of speculation, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
> Certainly with CPUs you don't get such a luxury of knowing what it might
> have populated in the caches.

I suppose speculation pre-populating the caches with stale data would be
covered by the flush+inval we do after a map operation (this is
currently done in the unlock path regardless of the VM op, so both map
and unmap get it). I don't know, maybe the goal is to relax the flushing
policy around VM modifications in the future, but if things stay as
they are now, we can assume that a fresh BO being GPU-mapped guarantees
that no cacheline points to it until the first GPU access. But maybe
I'm missing something else...

Reply via email to