Can you give the attached patch a whirl and let me know if it fixes the
problem?

As I indicated in my previous note, vmwgfx should be the only affected
driver because it looks at dev_mapping in the open hook (others do it when
they create an object, so they are not affected).

I'll probably revise it (and I'll have some general questions about
drm_open syscall) before officially send the patch, but I wanted to get
something quickly to you to check if it fixes your problem. I hope that
your vmwgfx test environment is such that you can reproduce the original
problem.

thanks,

-- Ilija