Kreuzritter2000 wrote:

> > Scott Billings wrote:

> >> Just donwloded the latest DRI driver for the Radeon on x86, and when I
> >> run glxinfo I get the string:
> >>
> >> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Radeon 20010402 AGP 1x x86/MMX/3DNow!
> >>
> >> What is curious to me, is the date. The package I got was labled as a
> >> snapshot from the 30th, yet that date says the 2nd. Everything is
> >> working just fine, so I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to
> >> why/how this is happening.
>
> > GL_RENDERER date: last time the driver source was changed (in general).
>
> > Package date: when the package was put together.
>
> > They are completely unrelated -- the fact that the GL_RENDERER date
> > hasn't changed means you can use any of the packages from 20010402 to
> > 20010501 and you'll get the same driver.  At least, if people have been
> > updating the internal date strings accordingly :-)  You'll also notice a
> > date string in /var/log/messages each time the kernel module is loaded.
>
> > -- Gareth
>
> How can is see this code change date before compiling the sources?

You'd have to examine the source code.  In the tdfx driver, for
example, you'd look for TDFX_DATE in the tdfx_dd.c file.

> It would be great if i am able see it directly in the source snapshot file
> or  cvs tree when opening the correct file with a text editor.
>
> Where do i have to look for this code change date for the varios drivers
> in the source code?
> Is there also a code change date for the main and driver independent DRI files?

Be aware that we don't update the date _every_ time we change the sources.
I tend to bump it every few weeks or so.

The client-side DRI drivers are the only parts which use these date
codes.

As I've said before the only point behind the GL_RENDERER dates is to
have a quick and easy way to determine if someone's driver is relatively
up to date.  Otherwise, when someone reports a bug we have no idea how
old/new their driver might be.

-Brian