> It might be a big matrix.
>
> Could we ask users to do some simple arithmetic in order to
> compute memory requirements for themselves?
>
> For example:  if the screen size is W x H pixels and they're running
> at 16bpp (2 bytes/pixel) then the frame buffer memory required will
> be about:
>
>   Front buffer:  W * H * 2 bytes/pixel
>    Back buffer:  W * H * 2 bytes/pixel
>       Z buffer:  W * H * 2 bytes/pixel
> --------------------------------------
> total:  W * H * 6 bytes

I have a question about this. I have a 32MB Matrox G400 dualhead (but
use only
one head). I run X 4.0.3 at 1824x1368 resolution at 16bpp.

According to above formula, to run GLX apps at that resolution, I would
need
1824x1368x6 bytes, plus what is needed for the normal 2D framebuffer, I
suppose, which is an additional 1824x1368x2 bytes.
That is 19961856 (approx. 20MB) in total. Since I have 32MB this should
not be
a problem.
Yet when I run some of the OpenGL xscreensaver demos, like 'sproingies',
or
'moebius' or 'pulsar', or even the mesa demo 'gloss', I get a black bar
at the
top of the (fullscreen) window.
For instance: gloss -geometry 1824x1368 gives me a screen-sized window,
but the window is not filled itself. The top 200 rows of pixels or so
are
black.
Could it be that not all of my graphics memory is used or detected?

Roland Nagtegaal