Hi,

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 12:57:38AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> In other words, merely loading the DRI module is guaranteed to cause
> lockup on subsequent display initialisation, even if the DRI is not
> successfully initialised.  The only reliable way to start X is to
> comment out the "dri" module line in XF86Config-4 entirely, and even
> that is not enough if I have previously tried loading the DRI and have
> since soft-rebooted.

Well, in composing the previous email I did several reboots with what
I thought was the "good" configuration and some of them failed.  So
I've just spent half an hour rebooting into full DRI, and finally got
the X server to start properly.  Now that it has got past the
initialisation, it is running fine --- quake3 shows a good performance
improvement over the old voodoo3 (especially on some of the large
terra levels which rapidly went into texture swap on the old 16MB
card), and tribes 2 is running albeit a little slowly.

So, I've established that there is no apparent pattern at all to the X
server starting up or not in this configuration.  Once it does start,
it seems 100% solid: I've had it running for an hour now with
absolutely no problems except for absense of the team3arena startup
logo (I just get a blank screen during the intro), lack of bilinear
filtering on mip levels beyond the closest (which I've seen reported
elsewhere), and some odd sky texture effects in tribes2.

So the bottom line is that, for reasons unknown, X simply fails to
initialise properly on this box.  Beyond that, everything works as
expected, but having to reboot half a dozen times or more to run
startx is sub-optimal. :-)

--Stephen