On Thursday 31 May 2001 16:36, you wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2001, Daryll Strauss wrote:
> >> Glide is dead as a developmental library for 3D and is really
> >> only useful as an in between for DRI.
> >>
> >> Would it make sense to make Glide3 a native part of XFree86?  I
> >> think it would simplify bug reporting and bug fixing, etc.
> >>
> >> Are there any licensing problems, or other reasons that preclude
> >> this from occuring?  We include it in our XFree86 package, but
> >> I'd just as soon see it natively added to XFree86 and made part
> >> of the Imake build system.  It is unlikely to be used or
> >> developed much outside of XFree86 anyway IMHO.
> >>
> >> Just curious if others are feeling this also, and to find out if
> >> it is something that might happen or be feasible for the trunk
> >> code or DRI project.
> >
> >It's a big ugly hairy mess that no one is supporting. How does moving it
> >into XFree help?
>
> I thought it would make it easier for everyone if it was
> integrated.  Sounds like that was a bad assumption.  ;o)
>
> >What needs to happen is that Glide and X need to be separated
> >not integrated. There's an easy way to do it, and a better way.
> >The easy way is to make the driver dynamically load Glide and
> >make the X tree include only those header files it needs to
> >compile the 3D driver. That's work we're already doing.
>
> Yep, that is cool.
>
> >The better answer would be to rewrite the tdfx 3D driver to
> >send packets to the board directly without using Glide. That
> >will simplify the whole setup, and may improve performance a
> >tad. No one has stepped forward to volunteer to do that work,
> >and we're not likely to do it.

What is exactly involved with this? Is it basically rolling glide functions
into the tdfx driver code? If so that's easy, right? And how does things like
libtexus (?) fit in to this? Although I can't promise anything I can try to
look at this over the summer.

Another thought if we can remove the glide3.so dependency of the tdfx driver,
it is possible to write a glide->OpenGL wrapper to enable people to use glide
using DRI, although Im not sure if this is a runner inasmuch there are few
glide games for linux now (though with WINE there could be a load more soon).

Andy