On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:29:21AM +0000, Andrew Richardson wrote:
> What is exactly involved with this? Is it basically rolling glide functions
> into the tdfx driver code? If so that's easy, right? And how does things like
> libtexus (?) fit in to this? Although I can't promise anything I can try to
> look at this over the summer.

That's most of the work, but you'd be better off if you did more than
just copying the functions from Glide into XFree86. For example, Mesa
keeps track of all the state as does glide. To change a context we tell
Glide to restore it's state. It would use less memory and could avoid
checking extra state. If you look at tdfx_wrapper.[ch] you can see what
functions are used.

It would be a good summer project. The trickiest part will be pulling
out (and simplifying) the initialization code.

> Another thought if we can remove the glide3.so dependency of the tdfx driver,
> it is possible to write a glide->OpenGL wrapper to enable people to use glide
> using DRI, although Im not sure if this is a runner inasmuch there are few
> glide games for linux now (though with WINE there could be a load more soon).

Lots of people have talked about it. It's much harder than you
think to do well.

                                                        - |Daryll