I spent a while this weekend looking in to this; it seems that the
problem is related to some AGP writes either writing corrupt data or
otherwise causing an instability.  The bad mode problem seems to be
one symptom of this -- the modeline registers are probably receiving
corrupt data.  I added some calls to do a SaveMode() right after a
RestoreMode() to dump both register sets, and on both a case where the
X server came up fine, and where it crashed, the registers
written/read were identical (between the two cases).  No modeline
corruption was displayed during the lockup -- the monitor simply didn't
receive any signal.  I've also yet to experience the lockup in
LoadCursor that sct mentioned -- it gets through that fine for me.

It's hard to figure out exactly where the crash is occuring, since any
debugging output from either the drm module or X itself get stuck in a
buffer at that point.  All I know is that, for me, it's consistently
after the mouse initialization step in X. If the server does come up,
it is very prone to crashing upon ctrl-alt-backspace; only once when
the server has come up did it successfully restore the text mode and
exit cleanly on ctrl-alt-backspace.

I've disabled AGP Fast Writes and dropped down to AGP Mode 1 in the
BIOS (incidentally, linux didn't pick up the AGP aperture size and
mode settings from the bios -- it claimed that it was 8MB and 1, when
the settings were 64MB and 4; I manually set these in XF86Config.  Is
this indicative of another problem?)

Anyway, I'll keep plugging away at this -- any thoughts or ideas would
be much appreciated.

     - Vlad