On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Brian Paul wrote:

>> >I'll read the agreement, but your statement about "applying" to join
>> >the development team gives me the impression that there is a secret
>> >magic ring.  Just my observation.
>>
>> Well ok then, there is a secret ring.  If you don't know the
>> magic handshake you're out...
>>
>> Not worth debating really..
>
>There's also a semi-official "initiation" that some people might
>have trouble with!  (inside joke)

;o)

>But really, in terms of "applying" we just want to be sure that
>someone's a competent/responsible developer before giving them
>CVS-write privilege.  That last thing we need is someone carelessly
>mucking about.

Yep.  I think any serious project out there works the same way
also, at least all the Sourceforge projects do.  With XFree86
specifically I don't even know who all has CVS write priveledge.
Do just the core developers have write privs, or do other
developers do too?  I've never needed/wanted to try a write
operation to find out personally.  I'm happy sending patches in,
as that assures that someone much more familiar with the code
gets to eyeball my potential change.  With other projects, I
think that is a good thing to do as well.

Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,
Red Hat Inc.                    Ontario, Canada, P6C 5B3
http://www.redhat.com           Phone: (705)949-2136