On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 06:21:38PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Yep.  I think any serious project out there works the same way
> also, at least all the Sourceforge projects do.  With XFree86
> specifically I don't even know who all has CVS write priveledge.
> Do just the core developers have write privs, or do other
> developers do too?  I've never needed/wanted to try a write
> operation to find out personally.  I'm happy sending patches in,
> as that assures that someone much more familiar with the code
> gets to eyeball my potential change.  With other projects, I
> think that is a good thing to do as well.

XFree86 has a dozen or so core developers. They're the only ones with
write access to the CVS tree. Everyone else just submits patches and the
core members apply them. The advantage of that is that they get reviewed
before being applied.

Our DRI tree is a bit more open. We ask that people submit their first
few changes as patches, which we review and apply. If those go well we
give them write privledges. That works a bit easier for us, because we
force all the development onto branches. Developers can have a safe play
pen to work on things and then they just have to be careful before they
merge onto the trunk. (We try to work with them to make sure they test
everything before merging)

The DRI tree and XFree86 tree are bidirectionally sync'd fairly
often. Our trunk should always be fairly close to XFree86's. Our
branches might have wild divergence as we do something more major (like
Mesa 3.5)

                                                - |Daryll

PGP signature