On 15 Sep 2001, Jeffrey Ingber wrote:

> If we want to see DRI development continue, we need to look at this from
> a differnt perspective:  Instead of bashing the people who brought us
> DRI, we need to answer the call and roll up our sleeves - and continue
> from where the development left off.  [Undeserved] flames won't help the
> situation one bit.  These are the times when the open-source model can
> shine, and infact was designed for.  I, for one, would be willing to
> help further development since modern hardware support for 3D is
> essential if I am to continue to use Linux as my primary OS.

Lots of people are willing to help, but it's very naive to think that
random hackers are going to reverse engineer these complicated drivers in
any kind of reasonable time frame.  Open source drivers for new 3D gear
depend entirely on satisfactory specifications from the vendors.  Without
them, we are screwed.

-jwb