On Tuesday 18 Sep 2001 7:10 pm, you wrote:

> Although security through obscurity is not a good solution, it is
> effective to a certain degree. To my knowledge, no security holes have
> been found in the NVIDIA drivers. They need to be found to be exploited,
> and finding them is more difficult w/ binary only. Security holes can

You haven't audited software for security before have you?

> > So what do you propose to do about it? Take a perverse glee in arguing
> > that something bad is going to happen, and trying to shoot down anyone
> > who believes otherwise? Not sure I see what you are trying to achieve.
>
>  Something bad has already happened. The DRI team is no longer working
> on the project full time. What are you trying to achieve by bashing
> NVIDIA?

Please use a quote that corresponds to this libel. Closed source is far
inferior to open source in all situations. I think that is obvious.

>  The whole reason this discussion started is because DRI development is
> going to grind to a halt. This is the problem which we should be trying
> to solve, not hammering on the only 3D chip maker that is supporting
> Linux (and supporting it quite well, I might add). NVIDIA provides

You are reading a different discussion. What mailing list are you reading?

> binary-only drivers, and has well known and well respected Linux hackers
> doing it. For some people, binary only is not acceptable. Guess what?
> Your open source alternatives are in danger of going away. What is
> required at this point is a viable alternative. Instead of preaching the
> horrors of closed source software, you should be trying to find a
> reasonable way of ensuring the continued presence of open drivers.

Please read the rest of my email. No, please, I wish you would.

> > John Carmack
> > did some development because (besides being very cool indeed) he was a
> > corporate user of Linux 3D software.
>
>  He didn't do it for the money. He did it because he felt it was the
> Right Thing(tm). He has gone on record as saying that the Quake3 Linux
> sales sucked.

You are talking at cross-purposes again. He did it to make Quake available to
users. So Quake 3 never set the world on fire on Linux, that's not relevant,
you already said this was before the Quake release, so you contradict
yourself. Games sales on Linux are very much chicken + egg.

> > So maybe we can get some help from
> > people out there creating 3D packages? (Maya, Blender, Softimage?)
>
>  These people are using the NVIDIA drivers. They're already using
> binary-only software, so binary only drivers aren't a big deal to them.

Please! WTF are you talking about? Why are they? What? I don't understand
where you get your "facts".