On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Dacobi Coding wrote:

>I was just wondering, what's the plan regarding
>Radeon 8500 DRI support?

The Radeon 8500/7500 drivers for 2D were just recently commited
to CVS.  They work at least in my limited testing.

>I been hearing rumors about ATI switching to
>a unified driver structure much like Nvidia's.

Not true at all.  Don't know where your rumors come from.

>Can anyone verify wether this is true or not, and if it is
>true, how it will affect the DRI project?

It is not true.  For the Radeon 8500 and 7500, ATI's support for
the community will be as it has been for the past.  They will
provide the hardware and specs to an organized and controlled DRI
project, led by developers who are competant in seeing such an
advanced project through to its end.  The Radeon support in
XFree86 was funded by ATI if I remember correctly.  I do not know
if there are plans to do so for the new hardware or not.  Either
way, the support ATI is offering is better than that of most
other vendors of modern cutting edge hardware, so that is a big
plus in the favor of the community.

Any DRI developers interested in commenting on working on a
Radeon 8500/7500 project?

IRC:  #redhat-xfree86 on irc.openprojects.org