On Friday 05 October 2001 10:36, Johannes Prix wrote:

> I read in the FAQ, that NVidia provide their own
> binary closed source drivers.  Yet visiting the Nvidia
> homepage driver section I find, that there are not only
> binary drivers for several distributions, but also a source
> rpm and a source tarball "for those interested".  Actually
> I used this source and the explicit and very details
> compilation and troubleshooting information there to install
> the driver on my system.  It compiled and works well.  Have
> I misunderstood the concept of closed source or is this
> perhaps valuable and sufficient information for the DRI project?
> Has there been a change in the attitude of NVidia?  Perhaps
> someone could change those lines in the FAQ, for NVidia has
> in my opinion done great work.  Thanks a lot if anyone has
> the time to answer this mail.

Their idea of "source" is different than most everyone else's in the Open
Source/Free Software community.  The source code for the kernel module is
open and available (and is somewhat useful for fixing the Utah-GLX driver
that they supplied...) but the code that actually makes the card go,
including the DMA support, is in the closed source GLX driver.  Look
carefully at the "source" for the GLX module.  There's no C, C++, or any
other language files in that source RPM.

--
Frank Earl