Your depth is 24.  3D depths are only 16bit and 32bit.  The Mach64 is
really not powerful enough to handle 32bit (which is what 24 yeilds in
XFree86 4.1).  I'm not even sure if the driver supports 32bit depth, but
it's not a good idea anyway.  Plus you're going to get better overall
quality at 1024x768@16.  I can never notice a difference between 16 and
32 bit, but then, I don't have a ugly nvidia ;-)