Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Jeff, Others,
>
> I've been reviewing the work in the 3.5 branch for backwards compatibility
> and to me it looks like we can do it with a lot less effort.  Here's what I'm
> proposing, in one simple sentence:
>
>         Instigate a rule where any released ioctl will always be supported, with the
> same semantics and interface.
>
> This sounds simple and has a few consequences.  First and foremost is that
> the use of the sarea for passing parameters is deprecated.  Any new ioctl
> will take all its parameters through the ioctl struct, even if that means
> some performance issues.  I don't think it will however.

With the current generation of hardware (and the features in our drivers) I think your
probably right.  Unless a full t&l driver is released using the DRI, then perhaps this
might become an issue again.  I propose that the ability to set versioning on the
interface remains in the codebase, but is unused in case its needed at some point.

Otherwise sounds good.

-Jeff