Am Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2001 17:16 schrieb Andreas Karrenbauer:
> Dieter Nützel wrote:
> >>
> >>Andreas, in your own login (i.e., not as root) type something like:
> >>
> >>xauth +your_hostname
> >
> >No, I think you are wrong:
> >
> >/home/nuetzel> hostname
> >SunWave1
> >/home/nuetzel> xauth +SunWave1
> >xauth: (argv):1:  unknown command "+SunWave1"
> >
> >Andreas have a look into your  ~/.Xauthority file. I am sure your_hostname
> > is already in it, no?
> >
> >My solution:
> >
> >Andreas are you running SuSE???
>
> yeah that's the point.  I tried to use the generate command of xauth but
> that doesn't work at all.

We know. See below.

> >Then you need as myself as well a patch from SuSE for the XFree86/XFree86
> > DRI CVS tree that enables the XDM-AUTHENTIFICATION (DES encryption for
> > better security) to get KDM running, again.
> >
> >I've looked into the SuSE 7.3 XFree86 (xf86-4.1.0-45.src.rpm) package but
> >didn't found the right stuff, yet :-(
>
> I always had problems with kdm if I installed the compiled DRI X-Server.

Stefan send me the right stuff and I will be working on that.
Stay tuned.
So we didn't have to CC "all" in this list.
Only someone speaks up and tell he/she/it needs to be CCed :-)

> But this time the kernel module is also blocked:
>
> ndk@laptop:~> xhost +localhost
> localhost being added to access control list
> ndk@laptop:~> glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> libGL error: failed to open DRM: Operation not permitted
> libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No

That's a different thing and you should start with "insmod your_driver" and
send me (DRI list) your logs. Have a look into /var/log/XFree86.0.log, too.
...when we know what's going wrong we can solve...

> [...]
> ndk@laptop:~> su
> Password:
> laptop:/home/ndk/ # glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes

Have you the right permissions for the /dev/dri/ folder?
After you had it running for the first time the access bits for your card
should be set.

/home/nuetzel> l /dev/dri/
insgesamt 59
drwxrwx---    2 root     video          72 Dez  4 16:46 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root        59472 Dez  6 15:52 ..
crw-rw----    1 root     video    226,   0 Sep 24 03:55 card0
/home/nuetzel> l /dev/dri/card0
crw-rw----    1 root     video    226,   0 Sep 24 03:55 /dev/dri/card0

Check your /etc/X11/XF86Config file. On SuSE it should look like this.
Especially the last three lines are importend.

Section "Module"
#  Load         "pex5"
  Load         "xie"
#  Load         "record"