> I think the point is (but I could be wrong) whether this is
> user-configurable without recoding/recompiling anything, and it seems the
> answer is no.
That's bad. Definitely this is not high-priority issue, but it would be
nice to have ability to enable/disable extensions without recompiling
apps/drivers/etc. Well written apps should be able to determine which
extensions are available (shouldn't them?) so it could be interesting to
play with apps using different subsets of extensions.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for comments.

Sergey