> > Sure, an app can always elect whether or not it uses
> particular extensions.
> > Maybe I'm missing your point.
> "An app"? Probably. But some particular (very nice, BTW) apps
> still very
> dumb in terms of configuration so I'd like to have ability to turn
> extensions on/off myself, without modifying the app code (as a user).
> Anyway, this RFE has priority 0.00000001 (where 1.0 is "Normal").

I could see use of this feature for cases where the application
is currently under cunstruction with multiple targets. One that
has the extension and another that doesnt have. It will speed up
development of such things.

In the error case some features can be fine tuned for analyzing
or quick eliminating of error condtions.

For benchmarks it could be interesting to switch features on and
off in order to determine the specific performance difference.

Why force any application to implement some more or less wide
set of external shell varibles to query while the same is much
easier to maintain if its part of a "gatekeeper" library?

Regards Alex.