On 2002.02.19 10:14 Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled the mac64 driver following Leifs excellent mini-HOWTO. I
> did not find any errors after compiling in world.log. I installed
> XFree86 to /usr/X11R6-DRI, inserted mach64.o with insmod (I have
> agpgart compiled into the kernel) and started X with
> /usr/X11R6-DRI/bin/X which worked fine. I switched to another console
> and started windowmaker. I opend an xterm and tried ran glxinfo. It
> told me: direct rendering: no, which I think is sort of obvious
> because glxinfo is still linked against the old
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so. Quake 3 also told me there is no hardware
> accelerated X.

Please check:
- if /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 is pointing to /usr/X11R6-DRI/lib/libGL.so.
- if xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/mach64.o
was copied to /lib/modules/.../kernel/drivers/char/drm/mach64.o, and run
depmod -a

NOTE: you don't need to insmod mach64.o, the X does that for you.

If none of this is the cause please post your /var/log/XFree86.0.log to
see what is the problem.

> I don't know too much about X11. Is is possible to have to different
> X11 branches on one machine or do I have to recompile all my software
> that use X11 (which is not possible in the case of Quake 3). I also
> tried to mv /usr/X11R6-DRI to /usr/X11R6 and symlink it but both did
> not work.

No you don't. Your programs will be using the same client libraries,
except for libGL (as above). Since the X server is seperate entity you can
have several an the same machine without problems.

> Another idea probably is to compile DRI with /usr/X11R6 as a target
> und just move the old /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.backup and always mv
> the X11R6 you want to have (I still want to keep the old X11R6 because
> 2d acceleration is not working with the mach64 driver). Is there any
> other possibility to keep both trees, because I think this solution is
> really nasty. I think someone posted a script to exactly do this, but
> I searched the mailing list archive and could not find it.

You can't do that with the mach64 tree, at least not as it is configured,
because it just builds part of the tree (therefore the need to lndir
/usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6-DRI). Nevertheless you don't need it.

> Thank you very much for any help,
> Michael

Regards,

José Fonseca