On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:42:48AM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:
> Alan,
>
> I've been playing with your scripts and I'm impressed with the level of
> functionality you have.  I do have a few questions probably based on my
> inexperience with your scripts.

O.k.

> First, what are the base requirements before installation?  It looks
> like XFree86 4.x and Linux Kernel 2.4.x are required and checked for by
> the install script.  Are the DRI sources required as well?  It looks
> like my DRM kernel modules sources are symbolic links to source files
> that don't get included in the tar ball.

The requirement has always been XFree86 4.x and kernel 2.4.x - when
has this not been the case ? (apart from the old 2.2.x kernel days)...
They were certainly written with that requirement in mind though.

As for the symlinks. It's using tar, so I guess you've run the dripkg.sh
that points to an 'lndir'ed tree. You need to build in checked out tree.

> Second, how much do we want to upgrade (replace)?  It looks like the
> scripts upgrade the OpenGL API libraries (libGL & libGLU); internal core
> libraries (libglx, libGLcore, libdri & libdrm), DRM kernel modules (all
> of them?) and user level drivers (2D and 3d).  I can see how replacing
> all of these would increase our chance of success--however, what does
> this do to compatability with older (or other) drivers.

Yes. It basically replaces everything. During the original writing of
the scripts, things were changing much much faster and we needed to.

Alan.