On Wednesday 20 March 2002 19:42, Anders Haugen wrote:

> ok, i see - thougth you meant i had to do
> both, tested again now and only the last one is needed (the
> S3V_WRITE_CMD_DMA_ENABLE_REG, 0x1)

Wonderful, thank for your persistence it was very helpful. I will had an
#ifdef _VIRGEDX in my code so that it will worl out of the box next time ; )
And this will be the version I will commit to cvs tomorrow.

> just to be sure i also deleted the drm/kernel folder and extracted the
> files from your tarball again, and then just uncommented the
> S3V_WRITE_CMD_DMA_ENABLE_REG line. i didn't make any changes to the other
> files.

; ) I like your style.

> now i get 84-85 fps, guess i had forgotten to disable the drm debug. thats
> about 2.5/3 times as fast as software mode is for me.

We are getting close. I thought it should run around ~90/100 on a machine
like yours. Could you try:
- turning gears to the slim side (so that you will just see the thin
profile). How much you scored?
- reduce window, enlarge window. Does speed change much? (we are bitblitting
[so win size is quite relevant] not page flipping: in fullscreen mode -if we
will ever implement it- speed will be greater)
- overclock your cpu [try with jumpers to run it at 233] it should not be too
hard (try then to recompile your kernel to see everything is OK)
- how fast is your RAM? Could you give me result from hdparm -T -t /dev/hda

> the computer im testing this on has redhat 7.1
> i haven't got the glutdemos, so i'll download them too and see how they
> work.

Ok. BTW: What wm are you running? If you have less then 128 (64, isnt'it?)
please don't run gmome/kde concurrently to opengl apps but a light wm (try
wmaker or xfce), otherwise I noticed slow down due to low memory condition.
Sometimes X hung at the start since memory got fragmented and it was not even
able to allocate the DMA buffers ; ( So I resorted to lighter WMs, and
lowered DMA buffers (64k) from 32 to 16.

Vale,
- max