Oops, i should better care for sending
things to the mailing list address.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Stohr
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 22:14
To: 'Leif Delgass'
Subject: RE: [Dri-devel] Max texture size

No, i dont see problems with that.

When the resoultion changes and therefore
the memory consumption, all the applications
should terminate their screen access,
including the OpenGL ones, and then query
that maximum values again.

bpp and max avail offscreen memory that might apply
to your calculations should not change unless modes
are switched, so the results are consistent.

Let me summarize, the maximum texture level in a
multilevel texture mapping is determined by the
doulbe square object size of the biggest texture.
on linear texture heaps, the plain memory amount
makes up the capabilities. (visually on rectangular
heaps the biggest texture is left and the smaller
levels arrange nestingly on the right half of the buffer)

the max level exactly matches the power of 2 that
the biggest texture has in dimensions.
(assumed that all levels are power of 2 and the smalles is of size 1x1)