On Sat, 18 May 2002, José Fonseca wrote:

> On 2002.05.18 10:33 Leif Delgass wrote:
> > OK, I finally committed my changes thus far as a checkpoint.  I'm reading
> > BM_GUI_TABLE in the dispatch routine to see when we hit the hardware
> > pointer and wait once we reach it.  So the dispatch is treating the
> > descriptor table as a ring, and it helps.  There's still lots of places
> > optimize and probably a fair amount of cruft and bugs lurking, but I
> > wanted to get this into cvs while things are working.  :)
>
> Great! I've fired the scripts to make a mach64 snapshot so a new one
> should appear within the next hour or so.
>
> >                                                        One of the main
> > problems is context switches with the X server.  Right now I have a wait
> > for idle followed by saving the pattern registers (used for buffer aging)
> > in EnterServer (atidri.c).  I'm only restoring the registers if the X
> > server changes them, but the engine must be idle before they can be
> > stored.  We really need to figure out how to do this better, because
> > things slow down whenever you move the mouse now.  This might be a good
> > time to look into getting sync working with 2D accel as well, since we'll
> > need to verify that the solution will work with XAA.
>
> Agreed.

I was just thinking that we could replace buffer aging with a check of
BM_GUI_TABLE in freelist_get when searching the pending list, similar to
what I'm doing with the dispatch.  Since we know the physical address of
each buffer, we can compare that to the position of the hardware rather
than reading a GUI register like the pattern register.  If we can figure
out another way to do frame aging, then maybe we could eliminate the use
of the pattern registers.  Then I think it's a matter of moving the idle
ioctl to the XAA sync function, so we don't wait for idle on every context
switch.  I'll give this a try when I get back.

> > AGP texturing is working, but the algorithm needs work.  The trick is
> > that
> > for multitexturing, both textures need to be in either card local or AGP
> > memory.
> >
> > I can go into more detail about these changes at Monday's meeting, but
> > I'll be away for a couple of days and I wanted to get this checked in and
> > post a quick message for now...
> >

> I'm getting completely depressed because my work is giving me quite some
> headaches and I'm eagger to play with mach64 but I can't since the
> deadline is closing down...
>
> Regards,
>
> José Fonseca

Leif Delgass