*muhahaha*
My plan is working.  This is _exactly_ the kind of stuff I was hoping to
get out of this discussion.  Not only for my own use, but also for other
aspiring neophytes.  Hopefully, some of this information can make it
directly to the DRI site, possibly the FAQ.  Want ATI to give you 8500
docs?  Sure, go fix the 3dfx driver, and you'll have a much better
chance of getting them.

I think there a lot of eager hands out there like me.  My C coding isn't
what it used to be, but I can certainly handle working with existing
code to rework it and fix things, while I might have more trouble
developing things from scratch.   It also helps that I can always look
at the other DRI drivers to see how things could/should/should not be
done.

As for the 3DLabs stuff, I think somebody (maybe me?) should really get
that stuff into shape.  It might be a good feather in our cap when
Creative/3DLabs thinks about releasing their new chip this fall.

-Al Tobey

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 18:24, Mike Westall wrote:
> Once upon a time 3DLabs gave us the specs
> for Glint TX, Permedia 2, and Permedia 3
> cards. We did Utah - like accelerated 3D drivers
> for X 3.3.6 for the Glint TX and Permedia 2
> and a 2D accelerated driver for Permedia 3
> but never got the time to port the 3D ones to the
> to the DRI.
>
> We gave all these sources to Alan H. a while back, but
> could probably dredge them up again if there
> was a demand.  We received only hardcopy docs
> from 3DLabs and thus have no good way of
> making that information available (even assuming
> 3D would give us permission.)
>
> Mike
>
> James M. Westall
> Professor and
> Director of Graduate Affairs
> Department of Computer Science
> Clemson University
> Clemson SC 29634 USA
>

> Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 02:49:09PM -0400, Al Tobey wrote:
> > > Here's a stupid question:
> > >   Are there any cards on the market, which don't already have DRI
> > > drivers, that have publicly available specs?  I'll do some searching - a
> > > card or two in this category would make a great training ground for some
> > > new developers.
> >
> > Well there is Matrox G100. I haven't really looked at the docs but I think
> > it's pretty much a G200 without WARP. utah-glx used to support G200/G400
> > this way before Matrox released the WARP microcode. Or maybe it's more
> > like a Mystique in which case I'm not sure if it even supports enough 3D
> > operations to make a driver useful. In any case it would be quite slow.
> > You have to register at Matrox developer relations page to get the specs.
> >
> > --
> > Ville Syrjälä
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information
Services Department at (616) 942-0954.