On 30 May 2002 00:25:08 +0100
"Sergey V. Udaltsov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Again and again I take snapshots, again "Permission denied" even for
> root. What could this be? Can it be related to gcc 3.1 I use to build
> the kernel module in the snapshot? Really strange situation to me...
>
> Regards,
>
> Sergey

Hmm, I started using gcc-3.0.4 recently. I'm having 2 compiler versions
installed. I noticed that Makefile.linux in linux/drm/kernel ignores my
settings in host.def and uses the old compiler. I tried compiling the
kernel module with gcc-3.0.4 now. The first obvious thing was that I got
lots of these warnings:

mach64_state.c:682: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__ is
deprecated.  This feature will be removed in future

But it's only warnings.

When I started the Xserver it locked up after the first few 2D
operations while loading the window manager. But I could kill it with
the secure access key. I didn't see anything suspicious in XFree86.1.log
or the syslog at the point of the failure. But I see the following DRM

(II) ATI(0): [drm] SAREA 2200+1212: 3412
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 6, (OK)
drmGetBusid returned ''
(II) ATI(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "mach64" driver
(II) ATI(0): [drm] drmSetBusid failed (6, PCI:1:0:0), Permission denied
(EE) ATI(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed

So I have the same permission problem and it only occurs with gcc 3.

Sergey, does your X-server lock up, too?

Regards,
   Felix

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___
_____Felix_______\Ä/\ \_____\ \_____\ \______U___just not everything____
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >o<__/   \___/   \___/        at the same time!