On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Peter Soetens (Kaltan) wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 June 2002 18:53, you wrote:
> > Maybe you should start reading about advanced c programming
> > technics first? (Okay, Pascal will do the job as well.)
> > advanced here means programming with mutexes, semaphores,
> > interrupts, object handles, buffering, chaching, memory
>
> I'm supposed to know most of this, hope my boss doesn't read this list :-).

In this case some more info.

First of all you need some docs, try asking ATI nicely, perhaps they'll
give them to you - together with some sample code that looks like source
to the driver they released.

> > ringbuffer = .....
> So the ringbuffer is nothing more than an implementation of a fifo queue in
> which the driver puts the commands to be processed by the command processor.

What you do is stuff "CP_PACKET"'s into ringbuffer each of which can
perform a separate command. It is also possible for the command to be
"fire off indirect buffer".

None of this stuff changed much from plain Radeons. The reason usual
radeon driver does not work with Radeon 8500 is because 3d pipeline on
8500 chip is completely different.

For example, if you want to get your hands dirty (and which might be a
good idea to show ATI that you digging in the driver code) you could try
to get plain radeon driver to use CP mode for Radeon 8500 2d support -
which should be the same. I.e. replace all 3d stuff with software
fallbacks but leave 2d code in. I believe this should work and you'll get
some experience before delving into more advanced stuff.

Note: this involves not only changing kernel module but also radeon driver
in MesaGL source.

                          best

                            Vladimir Dergachev

PS If you do succeed with the example I mentioned, could you send me an
e-mail directly (and not CC'd to the list) ? This will make sure I read
when you send it and not when it is the next time to check the list
mailbox.