On 2002.06.08 14:40 Peter Soetens (Kaltan) wrote:
> ...  I started reading the XFree86 DESIGN document .
>
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/DESIGN.html
>
> Jose, could you add that at the very beginning of the DRI developer FAQ ?
> It's __very__ interesting if you want to start on drivers.

Indeed. I wasn't aware of its existence. It will be added to the FAQ ASAP.

> I was wondering if i could mix it with the current radeon driver code, or
> that
> it is better to temporarily split the code off.  Is it possible to
> indicate
> that the driver has 2D accelerated support and no 3D acceleration ? If
> you
> could quickly point me to the place where the decision software/hardware
> rendering dispatching is made... (i suppose somewhere in de
> drivers/ati/radeon_* files)

2D acceleration on X is named XAA. It's done by radeon_accel.c but has
nothing to do with 3D software rendering. Basicaly just accelerate stuff
for windows handling, such as blits.

3D acceleration is done in xc/lib/GL/mesa/src/drv/radeon. The
software/hardware rendering decision is made in radeon_tris.c by
radeonFallback(), but you'll probably want to override it right from
radeonInitTriFuncs(), by using the software rendering callbacks instead of
Radeon's.

> I'll let you know when i managed to get something ready..
>
> Peter.

José Fonseca