I could give a few guesses as to why WC has an interest in 8500 support
- I spent a couple years with a meteorologist in college:

* meteorological calculations use _A LOT_ of CPU power - Linux probably
saves them gobs of money e.g. beowuf, mosix, chromium

* Linux is becoming more popular in meteorology due to its wide
availability, performance, and hardware platform choice - the very same
reasons it's getting popular in Hollywood

* almost all meteorology visualization applications use OpenGL for
rendering

* WC does an awful lot of visualization - you know - all those weather
maps you know & love

* it is more difficult to get support out of the community when using
binary drivers such as FireGL and NVidia

* universities, where most research in meteorology is taking place,
don't have the $$$ for SGI and Sun workstations to run the modeling
applications required for their work ... getting all the components
together for Linux workstations to do the work on would save tons and
prevent having to port applications to NT

Regarding binary drivers, it's probably more difficult for a company
like the Weather Channel to use the FireGL drivers on an 8500 and get
away with it than it is for Joe Schmoe user.  ATI most certainly would
prefer them to shell out the cash for an 8700 than a cheaper 8500LE.  I
haven't read the FireGL driver license, though ...

I like to think that occasionally a company will come along and want to
give back to the open source community for all they have gained.  Let's
take it at that and get things rolling!

-Al

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 20:28, David D. Hagood wrote:
> Jens Owen wrote:
>
> > "The Weather Channel is funding TG to develop an open source 3D DRI
> > driver for the ATI Radeon 8500 graphics card. The driver will be
> > released to the XFree86 Project around Q4 of 2002, to be distributed to
> > the public in future versions of the XFree86 X Server."
>

> This is of course most excellent, but why does the Weather Channel want
> to fund this? Are they using Linux for their video work?

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information
Services Department at (616) 942-0954.