On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, José Fonseca wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 08:01:58PM -0400, Leif Delgass wrote:
> >This is just temporary transitional code, right?  Isn't the idea to add
>
> I hope not...
>
> >the commands in the drm when copying to a private buffer?  That way we
>
> .. as I hope be able to use this code in the DRM.

OK, that's what I figured.

> >don't need to verify the commands and the Mesa driver can just copy the
> >vertex data unchanged into the buffer (or have Mesa use DMA buffers
> >directly).
>
> Yes. At that time the COPY_VERTEX call will be replaced by the
> straightforward COPY_DWORDS. The complexity in COPY_VERTEX will be
> shifted to the DRM. That code will be in the inner loop so this assembly
> optimization will be quite handy then.

For vertex data passing between the Mesa client driver and the drm, we
really don't even need to use AGP/DMA-able mem.  We could probably get
away with a much smaller number of buffers for this since they can be
recycled as soon as the drm is finished copying the data to DMA buffers.
Actually, the buffer should be reusable as soon as the vertex dispatch
ioctl returns.  In fact, couldn't each context just use keep reusing a
single vertex buffer for it's entire lifetime?  That would eliminate the
need for the drmDMA ioctl on every vertex buffer flush.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net