On Monday 01 Jul 2002 10:57 pm, Michel Dänzer scribed numinously:"
> On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 23:23, Tim Smith wrote:

> > > Add Jacek's fix to use the commented out variant with -1, and it's
> > > perfect! :) Or does the command account for that? Either way, great
> > > job.

[ snip ]

> > I wondered about that commented-out line. I assumed (yeah, I know :-)
> > that it was there because someone was trying different things, and left
> > the one that didn't work commented out. The question I presume being
> > whether the rectangle is bottom-right inclusive of bottom-right
> > exclusive. I think it's inclusive, myself (unlike normal drawing of
> > rectangles when you specify a bottom-right corner; I think they want
> > you to use width/height) because otherwise it would be possible to have
> > a screen whose bottom right lines could never be included in the
> > clipping rectangle; you could put a pixel at 0x1FFF, 0x1FFF, but never
> > set up a clipping rectangle that allowed it to be drawn.
>
> Why not? If you have to specify w-1 and h-1, w and h can be up to 1<<16.

You can't specify width and height for a clipping rectangle (according to
the part of docs I looked at). The register is mis-named in that instance.
AFAICT the maximum 2D clip rectangle you can have is 0,0 to 0x1FFF,0x1FFF.
You can however specify negative coordinates for it to write into
off-screen areas.

> > Also, the screen seems correct as-is; if the bottom/right were being
> > specified too wide, I would expect the top left of my menus to be
> > overwritten, which would be quite obvious as they're bevelled. Am I
> > missing something?
>
> Apparently yes, though I can't tell you exactly what. You should see the
> problem with a fullscreen app, I saw it particularly well with
> BillardGL.

I think I'll have a play with that, because you've made me go all curious.

> > > Also, 'CCE' makes me think of a Rage128, the Radeon engine is usually
> > > called 'CP', and the existing commands in the file are simply called
> > > RADEON_CNTL_* .
> >
> > Oops. Cut 'n' paste -itis. Yes, call it RADEON_CNTL_SET_SCISSORS. Much
> > more sensible. The way I read the docs, the CP reads the command FIFO
> > (as opposed to PIO mode where you manipulate the registers directly),
> > and the CCE reads the ring buffer and feeds the command FIFO.
>
> I saw a sentence along the lines of 'CP aka CCE' in there, and they seem
> to use both acronyms interchangeably. The register names all seem to
> contain CP though, I guess that's why I was (mis?)lead to thinking that
> what used to be called CCE for the Rage128 was called CP for the Radeon.

And sometimes they're called CEE commands, I've just noticed. My brane
hurts...

--
Tim Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
If I slay everone, I am bound to get the ones I am mad at!