On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 22:24, Jens Owen wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> How is the OS indepedence project coming?  I wanted to make the IRC mtg
> today and get some consensus for merging your stuff in, but I had a
> schedule conflict.
>
> What do you think still needs to be done before merging your work onto
> the DRI trunk?
>
> I definitely think your work is absolutely what the DRI needs for good
> cross-OS support.  I'd like to hear from other developers if there is a
> concern about making this merge relatively soon.

I also missed the meeting, was working outside.

I feel ready, because I'm pretty confident that it has far surpassed
FreeBSD's DRM in capabilities (pcigart, tcl), stability/correctness
(eliminated some long-standing crashes), and speed (mtrr code sped up
several cards significantly), and as far as I've been able to tell had
no effect on Linux.  Granted, my testing of Linux has been limited to
glxgears so far, but I'm not expecting surprises.  It will also open up
the branch for more NetBSD work to happen (I've resisted some of reide's
diffs because I wanted to focus on getting this merged).

Concerns at this point:
- I'm still noticing some problems with my Radeon 7500 with DRI (the
last lockup was dragging a glxgears around on top of another one).
There has been talk of 7500 issues, though.
- clipping issues on r128.  r128 I know has problems on linux anyway.
- one user I was talking with said he had glxgears above 2000fps (was it
2600?) on a 1700xp and radeon 7500 with 4.2.0/drm-kmod and it dropped to
1900 with bsd-3-0-0-branch.

I'm mostly concerned with that last point, but I still don't think it
should stop a merge.  As a side note, I would prefer to see someone else
commit the actual merge if possible, because I don't feel proficient
enough with CVS yet.

--
Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://lclark.edu/~eta/dri/