Ian Molton wrote:
> Is the Hercules 3D Prophet 8500 a good card? (is the 2D stable at
> 1600x1200, unlike my 7500 VIVO which has a noticeable 'noise' so that
> vertical lines arent smooth, but somewhat rough looking)

i think it's a fairly decent one. but there are rumors that some
hercules 8500 cards on the market only have one ramdac (i.e. no
possibility for dual-head), so I'd double-check that before buying

Also keep in mind that the Hercules 8500 is "only" clocked at 240MHz
memory clock, some others have 250MHz.

unfortunately there's such a load of 8500 OEM boards, it's a bit hard
not to get confused...
I've got a FIC card (8500LE), which seems to be 100% identical with the
original ati-boards (no traces of FIC in the bios-strings, ati-logos on
the board, covered with fic-stickers, etc.). I take that as a plus,
because that way chances are best to get maximum compatibility with the
retail cards. Mine was even the cheapest on the market that time i
bought it, so maybe lookout, if you can find this model somewhere

> will it work 2D on a stock X 4.2 ?

yes

> what framerate does the beta DRI accel for it give in Quake3 ?

i only tested on a selfmade demo (not an "official" one), but the
relative numbers should give you an idea nevertheless:

win98: ~150-160 fps
X, firegl drivers: ~130 fps
X, r200-branch: ~80 fps

keep in mind that the r200 branch is very new, so there's surely room
for improving the performance

on my system, however, q3a will usually crash after some minutes of
playing, other people have reported that it runs stable, so your mileage
may vary