On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 04:32, Andy Dustman wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 09:25, José Fonseca wrote:
> > I've updated my workstation to the RedHat Linux 7.3.94 beta, which has
> > gcc 3.2. So now forward the snapshots will be built with this version.
>
> If the kernel modules were the only issue, you'd be right. Unfortunately
> the other important component of the snapshots is the DRI shared
> library. Since (for those who haven't heard) GCC 3.2 breaks binary
> compatibility with earlier versions, the shared libraries don't work. My
> X server dies on signal 11 almost immediately (during drm
> initialization). So these snapshots will only work if your X server is
> compiled with GCC 3.2. Also I've noticed that the shared library is now
> twice the size (or more) than it used to be (went from about 5 MB to 12
> MB).

Wow, you make quite a few assumptions on the grounds of almost no data!
You should consider a career in the sensationalist press. ;) On a more
serious note, have you tried replacing your libxaa.a yet to eliminate
the possibility of that signal 11 that we've been seeing with the last
few snapshots?  You could also try a snapshot of today or later, because
Michel has fixed the XAA problem which resulted in the Sig11.