On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 09:03:12PM -0700, Jason Cook wrote:
>Jose,
>
>Unfortunately that doesn't fix the problem for me. I get the same
>results as before. I loose all visual context, X segfaults and all my
>VTs are black. I reboot and restore.
>
>Sorry I can't give feeback on the other cards. What could the problem
>be? Do the latest snapshots work on your machine? Maybe a some other
>change has happened in the CVS that significantly alters things for
>the snapshots?

My machines have all Mach64 which lives in a seperate branch now, so
they are unaffected.

Well, there are two things that we could try: make a series of snapshots
without merging the XFree 4.2.0 code in, or make a series of snapshots
on an native gcc 2.9x machine.

But personally I'm more inclined to go directly find the reason to the
problem than to test every combination of parameters in the hope of
finding the answer.

Jason, is it possible for you to download Xfree86 GDB
(http://www.dawa.demon.co.uk/xfree-gdb/ ), start the X server remotely
doing
        gdb XFree86
and perhaps starting some applications from another remote terminal by
first setting the DISPLAY environment var. XFree86 should then segfault
and you should be able to get a stack backtrace by typing 'bt' on the
gdb's command line.

Also, I'm not in depth of the changes in XAA that caused this
(please correct-me if I'm wrong), but if the problem is actually there,
shouldn't disabling XAA avoid the segfault then?

>Incidently, why are the gcc 3.x.x snapshots almost twice as large?

As Felix pointed out, it seems that the new gcc uses a different debug
format. If that alone is the single reason is the mistery...

José Fonseca