As everyone on dri-patches already knows, I've just commited a TON of
changes to the texmem-0-0-1 branch.  I modified the R100 & R200 drivers to
"look" more alike.  I run the following from within the radeon directory to
see the differences between the two drivers:

for i in *.[ch] ; do
    diff -ud $i ../r200/$(echo $i | sed 's/radeon/r200/')
done | less

Piping it to wc instead of less shows only 17k lines of differences. :)
Lots of the changes were silly changes to variable names or comments to make
the diffs smaller.

Once I got the diffs down to a manageable level, I was able to modify the
R200 driver to use the texmem interface.  Since I don't have access to a
Radeon 8500, I have never actually tested any of this.  Hopefully somebody
that has such hardware will be able to finish it off from here.

Over the next week or so I plan to do the same thing with the r128, i810,
and i830 drivers.  That will leave the gamma, sis, and tdfx drivers.  If
those don't get modified to use the new texmem interface, I won't lose any
sleep. :)  Once we're satisfied that radeon, r200, r128, mga, i810, and i830
work, I will recommend (baring issues wrt the XFree release) that the
texmem-0-0-1 branch be merged into th trunk.  If anybody cares about those
other drivers, NOW is the time to get on board.

As part of the work I've already done, I added utils.[ch] to the common
directory.  I plan to move more code to that file as I come across
duplicated code in the drivers.  In case there's anybody that hasn't
noticed, I'm a big fan of factoring out common code. :)

--
Smile!  http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990315.html