On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 07:46:22AM -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
> Ian Romanick wrote:
> > As everyone on dri-patches already knows, I've just commited a TON of
> > changes to the texmem-0-0-1 branch.  I modified the R100 & R200 drivers to
> > "look" more alike.  I run the following from within the radeon directory to
> > see the differences between the two drivers:
> >
> > for i in *.[ch] ; do
> >     diff -ud $i ../r200/$(echo $i | sed 's/radeon/r200/')
> > done | less
> >
> > Piping it to wc instead of less shows only 17k lines of differences. :)
> > Lots of the changes were silly changes to variable names or comments to make
> > the diffs smaller.
> >
> > Once I got the diffs down to a manageable level, I was able to modify the
> > R200 driver to use the texmem interface.  Since I don't have access to a
> > Radeon 8500, I have never actually tested any of this.  Hopefully somebody
> > that has such hardware will be able to finish it off from here.
> >
> > Over the next week or so I plan to do the same thing with the r128, i810,
> > and i830 drivers.  That will leave the gamma, sis, and tdfx drivers.  If
> > those don't get modified to use the new texmem interface, I won't lose any
> > sleep. :)  Once we're satisfied that radeon, r200, r128, mga, i810, and i830
> > work, I will recommend (baring issues wrt the XFree release) that the
> > texmem-0-0-1 branch be merged into th trunk.  If anybody cares about those
> > other drivers, NOW is the time to get on board.
> >
> > As part of the work I've already done, I added utils.[ch] to the common
> > directory.  I plan to move more code to that file as I come across
> > duplicated code in the drivers.  In case there's anybody that hasn't
> > noticed, I'm a big fan of factoring out common code. :)
>
> This sounds great, though I'm afraid it's going to complicate the merges
> coming up.

Yeah.  I suspect that the path-of-least-resistance will be:

1. Merge DRI trunk and XFree trunk (for the XFree release).
2. Merge DRI trunk to the mesa-4.1 (or is it mesa-5.0?) branch.
3. Merge DRI trunk to the texmem-0-0-1 branch.
4. Merge the two branches.
5. Merge the unified branch into the trunk /after/ the last DRI-to-XFree
   merge.

Ugh...that does sound like a pain...I think that will allow us to acomplish
the most without disrupting the XFree release.  Thoughts?

--
Smile!  http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990315.html